The official student news of Bay Port High School

PORTSIDE

Track Opening Competition

Race Archibald, Writer

The Bay Port Men’s Track & Field team got its season underway on March 15 at the Oshkosh High School Invitational, held on the UW-Oshkosh campus. The Pirates are the reigning state champions in Track and Field, and they got their title defense season started with a win at the meet.

The Pirates edged out Fond Du Lac by a slim margin, five points, to take home the team title. Senior Josh Jennerjohn started the Pirates off with a third-place finish in the 60-meter dash. Junior distance specialist Cole Cohorst finished in fourth place in the 3200-meter run. The 4×200 meter relay took home first place as well. Other winners on the night were Jacob Isaac in the long jump, and returning state champion, senior Cole Van Lanen.

The team returns many state qualifiers from last years team, including shot putting ace Cole Van Lanen and jumper sophomore Cordgrell Tinch, who qualified for state last year as a freshman. Van Lanen won the shotput and discus throw at state last year. The Pirates also lost many crucial pieces from last year’s team, such as high-jump state champion Zach Lorbeck, as well as sprinter Ryan Powers, who qualified in the 100- and 200-yard dash.

Bay Port tends to do well in the sprint races, but is looking to improve the distance runners, to help the team. One of those athletes, Cole Cohorst, is looking towards bigger goals this season.

“I hope to qualify for state this year. It’s going to be tough, but I believe I can make it,” Cohorst said. He also hopes to help his fellow distance crewmates to join him at state. “A lot of us run cross country too, so we have been training all winter in hopes of qualifying for state.”

The Pirates aren’t the favorites to repeat this year, but with this group of motivated men, they believe it can happen. Despite losing many seniors from last years title team, they’ll be looking to maintain the level of success they had last year.