The official student news of Bay Port High School

PORTSIDE

Music to the ears

Alyssa Gerondale, Writer

IMG_4782 Music brings everyone joy. At a concert most people might think of a famous person singing. The Bay Port Percussion concert was something very interesting to see and hear. Percussion is key to music. The performers at the concert did not even need “real” instruments–some used just a pen and a desk.

“Everyone pitched in and we just decided which songs we liked more,” band director Luther Appel said.

Appel was excited to show what his students had to offer at the concert.

“We started to prepare for the concert right in the beginning of the year.”

This shows that they were very well practiced and ready to show what they have been preparing.

In addition to what Appel said, some members of the audience came to see family members who were performing in the concert. They expressed excitement about seeing their sons, daughters, nieces and nephews showcased for their musical talents.

“I didn’t really need to practice at home, since we learned these songs in the beginning of the year,” senior percussionist Jordan Bain said.

It was different to see what talents are there beside the traditional drums. The concert featured marimba, drumline, and a piano solo. Andrew Slick and Jordan Bain even opted to play an entire song with pencils tapping on desks.

Students had their most beloved numbers. Bain concluded about the concert, “My favorite that we are performing is probably Glitzville.”