PORTSIDE

The Magic Number

Voice of Bay Port reaches 150th broadcast

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Magic Number

Mr. Chris Liermann receives an award for his innovation in high school sports radio, Voice of Bay Port. Photo by Mr. Frieder

Alex McKindles

The world is changing.

In order for you to see a high school sporting event, it has already come to the point that virtually no matter where you are, you can at least listen to a play-by-play of the action, or watch the live Twitter feed.

That is what the team that put together Voice of Bay Port has done. Voice of Bay Port, the school’s sports radio broadcasting crew, is already on their 150th broadcast.

Voice of Bay Port began in October 2014 when Bay Port office staffer and intramural sports coordinator, Chris Liermann.

To celebrate this milestone, fans could have tweeted at them (@VoiceofBP), and tried to guess who would get the 150th yard of offense in Bay Port’s home football game against Notre Dame. Nobody won the prize, as the 150th yard of offense came from Cordell Tinch, after he caught a 52-yard touchdown.

Ross Toellner, Voice of Bay Port co-founder and marketing teacher said, “It’s come a long way in a short amount of time.”

Mr. Toellner has always had a love for broadcasting. His favorite moment in broadcasting is when he gets to announce the boys’ hockey games.

At the end of each hockey season, as each player is announced, he gets the honor of saying a few good words about each player. For some of those players it’s their last game. In an emotional time, he enjoys bringing out a positive side to it.

As for Chris Liermann, he recently received recognition from the Board of Education for his dedication and hard work in his part of Voice of Bay Port.

Liermann thinks it’s great to see people tweeting in from all over the place, saying where they are listening from.

Liermann said the most difficult challenge during the process was getting the community to know who they are.

He believes Voice of Bay Port had, “great support from the school” during the startup process.

What was your most difficult challenge during the process? Getting community to know who they are

What was one of your favorite moments? All of the interactions with people listening (people tweeting in where they are listening from)

• Connectivity

“Had good support from school”