The official student news of Bay Port High School

PORTSIDE

Bay Port hosts District 4 DECA Competition

Jacob Calawerts, Staff Writer

Bay Port DECA hosted this year’s District 4 DECA Competition at Bay Port High School on Saturday, January 14. DECA is an international association of high school and college students and teachers of marketing, management and entrepreneurship in business, finance, hospitality, and marketing sales and service. The organization prepares leaders and entrepreneurs for careers and education in marketing, finance, hospitality, management, and other business areas.This year there were 17 different high schools in attendance at the district competition and over 130 volunteers who judged the competitors throughout their role play events.

“Setting up for districts took many hours of work from everyone in our chapter, but it was well worth it, ” said Tommy Monfre, Bay Port chapter officer.

Although they had the big responsibility of hosting the event, there was also a record amount of advancing Bay Port students. “This was the best performance Bay Port has ever had to date,” said Lindsay Matuszewski, lead advisor of chapter for Bay Port, “We had 83 students compete and over 50 competitors went on stage and earned a medal in at least one category!”

In addition to the individual accolades, the Bay Port DECA Chapter also took first in the Outstanding Chapter Award which recognizes the chapter with the most top finishers and second overall in the average competitor score.

“All the advisors were very pleased with the performance from the students this year,” said Stephanie Reinerio, Bay Port DECA advisor.  “Twelve different students took first or second in overall performance which is very impressive. We are also happy to announce we have 32 students from the Bay Port DECA chapter who have qualified for state and hopefully the majority will advance to nationals.”

The state competition, also known as the State Career Development Conference Update, is in Lake Geneva, which is similar to past years. There are six different districts in Wisconsin that attend this conference with over 15 different schools in each district. At this level the competitors can compete in both role plays and project presentations.

“I was able to get the opportunity to advance to state which is particularly exciting to be able to do in my last year in DECA,” said CJ Maternoski, senior Bay Port DECA Chapter Officer, “I plan on working for many hours to properly prepare myself to advance to (inter)nationals this year as well.”

This year the DECA international competition will be held in Anaheim, California and includes performances from DECA chapters located across the globe.