PORTSIDE

Love or Perish

Life satisfaction starts with consideration for our fellow humans

Adam Bix

Adam Bix

Sidney Kropp, Editor

Adam Bix
One evening, as I do often, I put on a facemask. My boyfriend joined me because he struggles with acne. We took a picture together and he put it on his Snapchat story resulting in one of his group chat’s many friends blowing up with hateful comments.

“That’s so gay.” “You are gay.” “Gay.”

I walk through the hallways of my school and sit through classes alongside my peers, I hear sexual slurs directed towards non LGBT+ students on a daily basis. The word “gay” being used synonymously for other words such as stupid, dumb, flamboyant, tacky, is seemingly acceptable to our generation.

“We become so numb to what we’re saying,” says Macklemore in his song “Same Love.” We, as a generation, are mostly unintentionally and indirectly insulting others with a single word that can easily be replaced with words that don’t target a certain group of people, which concerns other words such as “retarded” also.

In the 2013-2014 school year, a Bay Port school climate survey had been sent out and approximately a half of the school responded to the statement: “Students at this school respect other students who have a different sexual orientation than they have” with disagreement. This means that a large portion of our student body does not feel comfortable or supported by their peers with their sexual orientation.

On one hand, it is understood that in today’s world nobody should let words affect them. “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me,” right? Well, although we have a small portion of students who are strong enough to not be affected by others use of the word “gay,” a larger portion is bothered by it. We are all aware that there are students at our school who have suicidal thoughts, have attempted to commit suicide, and we have lost some who have committed suicide. Sadly, that number is increasing. It is safe to say that a cause of this rise is the use of slanderous words towards others, whether LGBT+ or not.

Religion may be a determining factor when considering the sexual orientation of others. Sure, maybe your religion says heterosexuality is the right way and the only way. But doesn’t the Bible say that you shouldn’t judge people and to love everyone? Doesn’t your Bible say that you should love your neighbor? The term “everyone” includes LGBT+ as well.

We are not aware of what is going on in everyone’s personal lives, so, like Joel Osteen says, “If you cannot be positive, at least be quiet.” Whether or not we agree with each others personal preferences, and for the most part, everyone deserves to be treated with the same respect. We are all human, and among many, peace is a common goal. Like my favorite quote of all time, said by sociology professor Morrie Schwartz, “The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn’t work, don’t buy it.”