The official student news of Bay Port High School

PORTSIDE

A Producer’s purpose to make you emotional

A positive movie review for 'A Dog’s Purpose'

SIMPLY+A+MUST+SEE%0AWhether+you+are+a+movie+lover%2C+animal+lover%2C+dog+lover%2C+or+just+a+movie+popcorn+lover%2C+A+Dog%E2%80%99s+Purpose+should+be+added+to+your+list+of+must+see+movies.+
SIMPLY A MUST SEE
Whether you are a movie lover, animal lover, dog lover, or just a movie popcorn lover, A Dog’s Purpose should be added to your list of must see movies.

SIMPLY A MUST SEE Whether you are a movie lover, animal lover, dog lover, or just a movie popcorn lover, A Dog’s Purpose should be added to your list of must see movies.

Universal Pictures

Universal Pictures

Cara Gabriel, Editor

For anyone with a pet, anyone who loves animals, or anyone who wants to shed a tear, A Dog’s Purpose is a must see. Get ready for love, pain and lots of laughter that makes this a must see for every family! Just be sure to take tissues with you…

While the acting was adequate and the writing had some awkward moments, the love between a man and his best friend along with many characters in this film is palpable. The movie stars KJ Apa and Dennis Quaid as the boy, Ethan, and his companion, Bailey, as voiced by Josh Gad. This movie is about a dog trying to figure out what the point of his existence is. His reincarnated lives are shown through the perspective of four different dogs with different owners and each having their own “purpose.” This movie will have you happy, sad, being thankful and remembering all of the pets or dogs you have ever owned.

“I cried from the very beginning. It [A Dog’s Purpose] is so well written! I will never be able to look at my dog the same again,” said Emily Ravet, A Dog’s Purpose viewer from De Pere High School.

Throughout the events within the movie, issues that we face in today’s society are portrayed with raw emotion. In the movie the main character’s, Ethan, father is portrayed as an alcoholic. The director utilizes the father’s alcoholism to show that dog’s can comprehend human behaviors by showing the dog trying to comfort Ethan during his father’s outbursts. The movie also uses Ethan’s injury to portray to the viewer that dogs will always try to help and be there for their owner during depressing times. Lastly, A Dog’s Purpose discusses the idea of animal abandonment and adoption when one of the dog’s owners neglects him and drops him off in the middle of nowhere. The author tells the story from the dog’s perspective to show that dog’s need constant care, play time, and attention. By incorporating problems within today’s society, A Dog’s Purpose reaches the audience’s emotions more deeply.

Despite the majority of viewers rating the movie well, A Dog’s Purpose received quite a bit of backlash due to a video from TMZ claiming alleged animal abuse on the set. According to numerous sources, including People Movies and American Humane, this information has been deemed false. American Humane claims the investigation, along with eyewitness reports, concluded the video was edited “for the purpose of misleading the public and stoking outrage” and the footage was pieced together from two scenes filmed at different times.

Unlike other dog movies, A Dog’s Purpose is action packed with raw emotion to illustrate several of society’s issues. With situations of animal abandonment, animal abuse, depression, and even alcoholism on the rise in our society, the movie is informative and provides insight. You can see A Dog’s Purpose in theaters or buy it on DVD or Blu-Ray on May 2. Furthermore, A Dog’s Purpose is appropriate for every age and makes for a great family activity. There is something within the movie that everyone can enjoy. A Dog’s Purpose is targeted for dog and pet lovers; however, the quality and story is more than just the mundane movie.