The official student news of Bay Port High School

PORTSIDE

Military aspirations 2017

Trevor Mischka, Editor

Taylor Arbour is the first Bay Port female to be accepted into the U.S. Naval Academy, an institution with a 7.9% acceptance rate.

Taylor played and started for the softball, track, volleyball, and basketball teams throughout her high school experience. She thrives on challenges. Challenges at the Naval Academy; such as the student lifestyle, waking up at 5 in the morning, and being a part of the military don’t scare her. She is going to the Academy to study Math and Science for four years and then going into five years of service.

“I never wanted the attention that came with going to the Naval Academy. To me, it’s the school I wanted to go to so I went through the application process and got in. I tried not to make a big deal out of me applying… and I didn’t think I would get in on my first try. … I didn’t even consider that fact until someone mentioned it to me. Hopefully if other students want to go to a service academy I can help with with my experiences.”

Only a handful of Bay Port Graduates chose the honor of serving the country after high school graduation. As of the current results of a senior class student survey, 10 students from the 2017 graduating class decided to enlist.

With the life of a civilian going to high school nearing a dramatic close, most kids decide pursue college or work. Not these kids. Jarod Martin, Chris Tetzlaff, Madison Christianson, Keely Doyle, Luke Fontecchio, Abbie Kieckbusch, Grant Sobiek, Mikko Waino, Sam Cooper, and Taylor Arbor all decided to fight for Uncle Sam.

Various reasons for joining the military were provided.

Keely wants to follow in her parents footsteps, who found success in the Air Force.

“I decided to join because it will pay for my college and both my parents were Air Force so it’s what I know best.”

Luke wants to make the world a safer place.

“As far as why I joined? I wanted to make the world a safer place through violence.”

Grant sees many advantages to joining. “My goal in life is to be debt free. I want to use the Air Force as a stepping stone to further my education as an aircraft mechanic. Plus the uniform is pretty awesome.”

One of the hardest things human beings do, is starting something new. Something uncertain. Something scary to the average Howard-Suamico individual. It is ambitious that they took the first step, and it isn’t a minor step either.

It doesn’t matter what branch they decided to choose or how dangerous the position, because protecting the American community is the most important part. The people who serve deserve a great deal of respect for their sacrifice of time, blood, sweat, tears, struggle, and pure work that it takes to serve America the great.