Official student news of Bay Port High School

PORTSIDE

PORTSIDE

PORTSIDE

Bay Port rock climbing league reaches new heights

The rock climbing league is a brand new club which was started this year at Bay Port. This club is a place for students to try a new and challenging sport.  Students at all ability levels, even students with no climbing experience, are encouraged to join.  

I think that it’s a great club for anyone who’s interested in climbing, and it doesn’t take too much commitment, as well as providing a pretty awesome environment for people who enjoy the sport,” junior Tom Tipple said. “From beginners to experts, I think anybody could thrive in the league.”

ELA teacher Vicki Quinn, the club adviser said that she and her son Gavin started climbing at Odyssey Climbing and Fitness in Ashwaubenon when it opened last February. Quinn said that the staff members there reached out to her about starting a high school league that could compete against other local schools.  She added that later that club held tryouts for a teen USA Climbing League, and two students, Gavin and Payden Quinn, his cousin, made that team and competed around the state for national placements.

“The league is very new,” Quinn said.  “I love seeing students interested in a new sport and helping them get connected with each other.” 

The club meets once per month during Pirate Time, and members can come to training sessions at Odyssey Climbing once or twice per month with the group. The club practices different climbing techniques, builds strength, and develops mental strategies.  They also can participate in high school bouldering competitions.  

Quinn said that there is a meeting in mid-March that encourages everyone interested to participate and compete.  Students can join the Schoology group using code: 56NP-NVCV-DQ733 and watch for Pirate Time announcements; the club is always looking for new members.

This year, I joined by just signing up for the bouldering competition, which was a high school level competition hosted by Odyssey climbing,” Tom said. “I saw the post about it in Schoology in January, and my parents encouraged me to sign up, as I’ve been an avid climber for most of my life.” 

Other members have shared other experiences.  “I joined the rock climbing club because I like working out and I especially like rock climbing,” senior Kaylee Murphy said. “My favorite part of the club is climbing. Prior to joining the club I’d been rock climbing with a friend twice a week for a month. We met once at Odyssey for about two hours.  If you like rock climbing you should check it out!”