Official student news of Bay Port High School

PORTSIDE

PORTSIDE

PORTSIDE

Teacher Feature: Shane Rueckl

Teacher Feature: Shane Rueckl

This school year a lot has changed for students including rules and a plethora of new teachers. One of these teachers is Shane Rueckl.

Rueckl is one of the new math teachers this year, and he teaches College Algebra plus Geometry. Although Rueckl may be new to Bay Port, he is not new to teaching math.   

“I have taught since 2002. I spent the majority of the time at Appleton North for eight years and Oshkosh West for 12 years,” Rueckl said. With all of his years of teaching, he is well-suited to assist his students with their problems and is always willing to help students understand things they have trouble completing. However, in college he originally did not plan on becoming a teacher.

“I’ve always enjoyed working with kids, especially in the coaching realm and that was what really got me into being an educator.”

He originally considered doing something in the business realm like finance, but realized it wasn’t for him.  

“I like coaching and the coaching connection within the education system. That compiled together was what really drew me in,” Rueckl said. 

Rueckl was involved in many sports throughout his time in high school. He participated in football, basketball, and track. 

“I was a three sport athlete when I was in high school, and at one point when I had to choose between baseball and track. I chose track because I had a brother who I really looked up to. I loved the individuality in track and eventually I got into college through track.” 

Rueckl is dedicated to enriching his students through his teaching and love of math. His passion for helping students reach their maximum potential is evident through his teaching. His love for sports and coaching additionally has an impact on his teaching as it allows him to see the good in students and find how they can improve.